Arrests at colleges and universities in Beijing

22-12-2012 Work and school

( The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is arresting people in preparation for the Eighteenth Party Congress. Ms Zhuang Yanhong, a Falun Gong practitioner who was a professor at Beijing University of Technology, was arrested at her office on the morning of October 18th, 2012, by Chaoyang District police officers.

This is the seventh time that Ms Zhuang has been arrested. The last time was in 2007 when the CCP was preparing for the Seventeenth Party Congress. She was arrested at home and sent to a forced labour camp.

Ms Zhuang, 52, was a brilliant philosophy student at Beijing University. She received her master's degree in ethics from Renmin University of China. She held a teaching position at the Social Science School of the Beijing University of Technology after she graduated. After the persecution began on July 20th, 1999, she was repeatedly persecuted because she refused to give up her beliefs.

Why did Ms Zhuang continue to believe in Falun Gong? Ms Zhuang was born with one kidney. Her constitution was frail and treatment was ineffective. She was unable to fulfill all of her teaching responsibilities due to severe migraines and nephritis. In 1994, Ms Zhuang attended the series of nine lectures given by Mr Li Hongzhi. Her illnesses disappeared within nine days and her world view forever changed. She came to understand that the meaning of her life was to practise Falun Gong and return to her original, true self.

Ms Zhuang lived according to the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance after she began practising Falun Gong. She was very diligent at work and always considered the needs of others first. Her students and colleagues thought highly of her. Yet she was arrested seven times, imprisoned, and brutally tortured. She was beaten, force fed through a tube, and her throat was punctured. She underwent violent brainwashing and was deprived of sleep for over 20 days at a brainwashing centre. During the summer she was confined in a cell approximately 2 metres by 1.5 metres where the temperature exceeded 40 Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) and suffered devastating humiliation. During the two years she was in the forced labour camp, from 2007 to 2009, her health severely deteriorated from the inhuman torture, and the functioning of her kidneys and digestive systems was jeopardised. Her reaction time was slow, her memory poor, and her speech faltering. She was only able to take in very little food or water for two to three months after she was released. She gradually recovered her health after practising Falun Gong for several months.

Ms Zhuang was stripped of her teaching duties when she was released from the forced labour camp in 2009, and assigned administrative duties. She was under surveillance, harassed, and controlled by the local police. On the eve of her next arrest she got a call from the police station warning her to give up her belief in Falun Gong. She flatly refused.

This time the CCP first threatened Ms Zhuang at work. She was then arrested in front of her colleagues and the university students. She is presently being held in Chaoyang Detention Centre. We hope that people will pay attention to her situation.

In addition, according to a Minghui website report, another practitioner from a college in Beijing was arrested three weeks before Ms Zhuang. On September 21st, 2012, Mr Hu Chuanlin, who worked at the Logistics Division at the Beijing International Studies University, was arrested in his office. He was sent to a forced labour camp on October 18th, 2012, to serve a 2-1/2 year term. His wife, Ms Huang Ling, an instructor at the Communication University of China in Beijing, was forced to leave home with their child.



In Focus

For more information please contact the Falun Dafa Information center

+44 (0) 8444 828 660 (Rosemary Byfield)
or use our contact formular