Electric Shock

09-04-2005 Sexual assault

Electric batons are among the most commonly used torture instruments employed by police officers and jail guards in persecuting Falun Gong practitioners. They use electric batons that carry voltages as high as 300,000 volts to shock practitioners’ sensitive areas, including the mouth, centre of the palms, centre of the bottom of the feet, genitals, chest, neck, and breasts. Sometimes they use several electric batons simultaneously to shock practitioners.

The labour camp authorities often pour water on the practitioners to intensify the electric shocks. Some police also use a homemade electric shocking device; it resembles a masonry brick in size and shape, and it carries a much higher voltage than regular electric batons.

The skin will break open and bleed in every place that receives a shock from this device.

Gao Rongrong, 36, tortured with electric batons for 7 consecutive hours on face


In July 2003, Gao Rongrong was sent to the Longshan Forced Labour Camp (Shenyang City) because she made peaceful appeals to the government to end the persecution of Falun Gong. During her detention, Ms. Gao had been beaten by camp officials, according to sources familiar with her case.


“At approximately 3:00 p.m. on May 7th, 2004, Tang Yubao, the deputy head of the No. 2 Brigade, along with team leader Jiang Zhaohua, called Ms. Gao to the duty office and tortured her with electric batons for seven hours, according to these sources.

“Those detained with Ms. Gao in the labour camp say she sustained burns on her face, head, and neck, which caused her face to swell and become disfigured.

“Her face was covered with blisters, and her hair was matted with pus and blood. She could open her eyes only a crack because her face and mouth were severely swollen and deformed.”

Gao died of subsequent torture on 16th June, 2005. She was 37.

Liu Yufeng, 64 years old


Liu Yufeng, male, 64, was a retired worker from Xiaozetou Village of Songcun County, Wendeng, Shandong Province. He was an honest and upright man.

On July 18th, 2000, Liu was arrested and sent to the Wendeng Detention Centre because he took part in the Falun Gong group practice at Huilong Mountain.


On July 22nd, the Wendeng Detention Centre called his daughter and told her to take Liu home. When Liu was carried out by his son-in-law, he could neither move nor speak. He was in a coma. Around 10:00 a.m. on July 22nd, Liu was taken home. At 7:00 a.m. on July 23rd, he died.

Autopsy by legal medical experts showed that, extravagated blood was discovered in his right eye-lid. There were cuts and bruises on his face, and black and blue marks left by electric shocks on his throat, chest, and legs. The skin had begun to separate from the body, and the soft tissue below the skin was damaged. It was discovered that the second, third, and forth ribs on both the right and left sides were fractured. The upper one-third of the sternum was broken. His whole body was covered with bruises and injuries.

Zhao Ming, 30 years old


“Two weeks before I was released, five policemen, including three section chiefs, shocked me with six electric batons simultaneously. They first bound me on a bed board to prevent my body from jumping when being shocked. Then they shocked me with electric batons on my legs, upper body, shoulders, and arms simultaneously, which made my body tremble very violently. One policeman kept shocking my chest by moving two batons over my chest in circle, which made me gasp for breath and made my throat dry as if it were burning.”

Professor Zhang Kunlun, a Canadian citizen's experience


“My name is Kunlun Zhang. I am a Canadian citizen and a professor of art. Because I practise Falun Gong, I was arrested three times while staying in China to take care of my elderly mother-in-law.

"On November 14th, 2000, I was sentenced without trial by the Chinese authorities to three years in Shandong Province Labour Camp because I refused to denounce Falun Gong. With the help of the Canadian government, Amnesty International, and the international community, I was released on January 10th, 2001.

“During my detention, policemen beat me to the floor and shocked me all over my body with high-voltage electric batons. They threatened that if I uttered a sound, they would shock my mouth.

"The head of the police station said to me, 'We have orders from Jiang Zemin. As long as you refuse to denounce Falun Gong, we can do whatever we want to you. If you were beaten to death, we could simply bury you and tell the outside world that you had committed suicide.'

"My arms, legs, and other areas were burnt in many places from the intense electric shocks. I could even smell my own burning flesh. The beatings and electric shocks injured my left leg badly. It took three months for the wounds to heal.”


In Focus

For more information please contact the Falun Dafa Information center

+44 (0) 8444 828 660 (Rosemary Byfield)
or use our contact formular